Saturday, March 26, 2011

Vtg Simplicity 4657: dirndl skirt in progress!

I saw this adorable strawberry print dirndl skirt on Sewing Through the Motions blog


Isn't it the cutest?  Amy is going to do a tutorial for making a dirndl skirt soon.  I happened to be inspired by it and thought the style would be perfect for a "Fresh Picked by Darlene Zimmerman" cotton fruit print I've had in stash for a while.  I'm using this vintage Simplicity 4657 for measurements:


I've used this pattern before, but Amy's right, you don't really need a pattern for this style of skirt.  It's just rectangles!  Or I think there might be instructions for a dirndl skirt in Sew What Skirts (one of my most-loved sewing books!) 

Anywho...Here's a sneak peek:


This is the hem, so you know I'm nearly finished already!  Quick projects are the best.  I have very nearly hemmed it too short.  A bit more of my knee is showing than I would prefer, but I think it will be fine.  I might even see if I have a cute red ruffle-edge slip to peek out.

I had to narrow the waistband due to fabric constraints.  I think I like this narrow waistband better, it's very comfy.  Sometimes accidents are truly happy:


Zip is in, hem is done.  I just need a trouser hook fastening, and I'm undecided on pockets.  I cut 2 large rounded pockets and rickrack, but can't decide if they'll just be lost in all that fruit.  Hmmm.  What do you think?

I'll be sure to snap some pics tomorrow, if the sun comes out!  (Or inside if it doesn't.) I have a knit top and hopefully a pair of PANTS (yes, pants!) nearly finished and ready for photos too.  Spring break is nearly over.  It went by too fast, as it usually does. 

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:51 PM

    Ooh, I do love me some fruit prints!! Great skirt! I say yes to the pockets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great skirt, thanks for the inspiration for a simple project. I have some pink voile and narrow lace, now I want to throw it together.

    If it were me, I'd probably leave off the rick-rack. It might pull focus from the patterned fabric, and that's what this skirt is designed to do...

    Can't wait to see you modeling yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But do make pockets, they're so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving all your recent productivity! This skirt looks like a real winner. I love the fruit amongst the polka dots. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have gotten suspiciously large quantities of things finished, considering you said yesterday you'd done "nothing".

    I hate you. YOu know that, right?

    :-P

    I think I'd try the pockets. Pockets are just fun, even if they do get a little lost. Also like the idea of the red petticoat showing, that's such a cute one it should see some sun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What pretty fabric! Perfect for a simple Spring skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oohh! SO pretty! I love that fabric! These skirts are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! Maybe you could pin the pockets on first to see if you like them? I can't wait to see the pants. Those always intimidate me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's adorable! I love the fruit print.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &