Sunday, September 24, 2006

Arrgh.

Piracy.
I was envisioning Dorothy with ruby slippers...or Tinkerbell and a lush lime tutu...


Lu had other ideas.

We started with this pattern:



And these fabrics...
Blue stretch lame for the top, black sequined knit for the knickers, and a black/blue stretch velvet for the sash. I added black pregathered lace & a single strand of sequins for trim.

We're this far with construction... (and this is one tough fabric to photograph!)


The sleeve flounces aren't on yet, I'm gluing the sequin trim on top of the lace header and that's easier to do while lying flat! (the flounce, not me.) Also, the top fits Lu perfectly...she's a 10 and my dressform is for ebay & is a 5, thus the voluminous-ness of it. ;)

After attaching the sleeve flounces, the top is basically done. I'm undecided on hemming it,
leaving it, or just topstitching the gathered trim onto the hem.

The pattern calls for "faux leather trim with eyelets"...BUT since I don't know of an S&M fabric stores nearby (hee), I made the eyelets on my sewing machine :D We ommited the eyelets from the sleeves (although should you find the trim, they would be very cute!) Plain 1/8" black satin ribbon will lace the front & trim the sleeve flounce with bows.

Shiny/blurry eyelet pic. Drat the focus unfriendly lame anyway.

Mini Tute ~ Preferred Halloween Fabrics
I chose to use all stretch fabrics, if you noticed. That's my rule of thumb when making Halloween costumes! I made the mistake a couple of times to use Satin or Brocade (as called for) in a costume only to be completely frustrated by the high-end finishing techniques required for a garment that will only be worn once! Knit fabrics are easy to sew, there are NO seam finishes required, and NO hems! You can construct the entire garment using a zigzag, also. Super quick & easy construction.

There are also LOADS of cute, flashy fabrics that you normally wouldn't or couldn't sew with that you can go ALL OUT on Halloween...such as (drumroll please....) Stretch Lame! Yay! And Sequined Knit! And Tulle!

Of course, another fabric I'd love to use more (ever?) would be sparkly organza...but alas, it ravels like there's no tomorrow and is doomed to the non-friendly Halloween fabrics stash.

I'll post a pic of the completed costume as soon as it's finished!

a

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Terrific point on the stretch fabrics!! Back when I was making costumes, there weren't any stretch fabrics == ha, ha. Really! You should make this a tip on PR (if you feel like it:-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &