Saturday, April 24, 2010

HP Miss Moneypenny Pussycat Blouse

Wow, that pattern title is a mouthful! Remember, this is one of my Emma Pillsbury top knockoffs! Everyone needs a good tie-front blouse, right?

I started this top (my "muslin") back in March. I got mad at the neckline/collar/tie directions and had to set it aside. I picked it back up today to finish because I've got to get the UFO pile under control before I start anything new. And, I really wanted to finish this one because it was turning out so cute! See?


It's not perfect, but it was just intended to be a wearable muslin. I didn't have enough of this cute lime/yellow/blue print (from Hancock's!) to make the facings or the 3/4 sleeves. Or the ties! I had to piece the ties, but my "seam" ends up right where they "tie" so it's covered. They're still not quite long enough to tie in a nice bow though.

I substituted a white cotton for the facings, which isn't terribly noticeable until you're up close to my neck like the photo below. This also shows a closeup of the collar/tie that gave me such fits!


Essentially where I screwed up the first time I started this top was that I mistakenly thought the tie/collar was a BAND, not a rolled collar. I had the collar/facing all kinds of screwed up, because the collar portion WILL attach like a band (and looks fine.) There's just no way to add the facing if you do that!

I ended up ripping it all out and redoing it. It just took me a few weeks! Unfortunately, my limited fabric also means this little top is a tad short. I knew it was going to be, but there was just no way to fix it. I took a 1/2" turned up hem, so its wearable, but just barely.

I used the short, puffed sleeve from a different pattern because I didn't have enough for the original sleeves. My plan was to gather and bind the lower edge of the sleeves, which I did. That's what will probably make this top unwearable, because the bindings are TOO TIGHT! Grrr.


I could take the bindings off and do something else for the sleeve hems...but right now I don't want to fool with it. Maybe in another month!

What I will change for my future versions (because I really love the style & the fit!): I think I need to lengthen the upper bodice front another 1/2 inch, and add length to all of the bottom bodice pieces. This is one short top as drafted.

The back (which I didn't get a shot of because it was sprinkling on me in these!) fits great, but needs a "petite" adjustment on the upper back.

One UFO knocked out! Sort of. I still need to figure out what to do about the bindings, but technically I could hang this in the closet now and get it off the sewing table!

19 comments:

  1. Cute blouse! That fabric is so cheery, and blue-yellow is a good combo on you. Worth revisiting when you can face it again, to ease the armbands a little.

    My Kyoto Skirt pattern arrived!
    Are you still up for a Kyoto sew along? How's that going to work?

    I'm reachable by email at:
    venusdehilo[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and your modifications will make it spot on. Congratulations on this as it takes a good eye to really see what needs adjusting. I especially like the empire but but that it is fitted through the body. Best of both worlds for the gorgeous voluptuous among us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey, you go girl! I love the style of this one. I think NewLook has a similar pattern that I have in my stash. Although I'm not at home to check on that... But anyway, glad you got something out of the UFO pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too adorable! I think you should go ahead and tweak those sleeves, because this would go so well with your cute mustard yellow shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Money Penny blouse, and I agree, every girl does need a nice front tie blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun top. What if you took the facings off and a skinny elastic casing on the bottom of the sleeve? I need blouses - lots of blouses. Too bad that I don't like to make them. g

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that pattern on you. Once you get the length worked out, I think you could make up a couple of these for the summer wardrobe. I'd put in a hem casing and just add elastic for those sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep at it! It's such a nice style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work. I've made several versions of this pattern (or one very similar). See my last past for a difference way of lining the front.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute blouse! And a UFO ticked off the list. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that top. In fact, I have the pattern and did make a muslin. It was too big in the top, and I never got back to making alterations. But I will, now that I see your cute version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A cleavage shot - you, trollop, you! :)

    This version of the blouse is adorable and I think with all your tweaks the next version will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute fabric! I realy like the tie/collar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a cute top and you are right with a those few pattern modifications the next one will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! I must get this pattern. I always have troubles with sleeves that are tight on the biceps...I have to make sure that I am careful when I cut the bindings, so I can sympathize. I am sure your next version will be PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had this pattern forever! Maybe I'll make it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute! I thought it must be Simplicity 2501 at first - that has a similar tie / short sleeve combination, but now I see yours has a higher waist. Looking forward to seeing another one with longer sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Angir..I am lovin this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the floral the pattern. Very adorable blouse.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &