So I've spent the past 2 days working on my Amy Adams-inspired Muppets dress. And....here's where I'm leaving off on this one for a while. Complete with crappy early morning indoor photo:
Looks great pinned on the dressform, even before sleeves and lining, right? And it looks beautiful IF I don't zip it up all the way. It's too tight! Ack.
I ended up using this Vogue 9668 pattern, as I mentioned before:
I cut my high bust measurement and added a 1" FBA and it fit REALLY well through the front. And that neckline! So flattering.
This seersucker fabric is beautiful! (The fabric for this project was provided by Online Fabric Store). It has a lovely drape and is lightweight and perfect for summer. I love the color too... a deep brown and white stripe. I'll definitely be purchasing more of this, in some of the other colors.
Back to my too-tight dress. I did do a tissue fit, which seemed perfect. I tried sewing smaller side seams but it I needed MORE ROOM. I have no idea what happened. Unless, as Kristine mentioned yesterday when I was whining, I made a cutting error.
Too late now! Well...not entirely too late. If you look closely in the bodice photo, I tried adding a horizontal striped "gusset" (a'la this helpful article on Threads). I decided to do a full-length strip, because I was hoping it would look like a design element.
Meh. Right now it looks like the dress was too tight and I added a couple of contrasting strips of fabric.
But maybe I'm too close. In any case, I'm setting this project aside while I mull it over and gain some distance. (Good news...the invisible zipper was PERFECT. Of course.)
Moving on to a new project...which I haven't picked out yet! I'll keep you posted!