Monday, May 18, 2009

Favorite Things Prairie Girl

My yellow bird Prairie Girl top is finished! Ifinished serging & hemming just in time to race outside for pics before the sun went down. Barely.


I guess I like it well enough to wear it, but to be honest, I'm not totally in love with it. Truthfully, it kinda reminds me of a scrub top. (albeit it a fancy one.) It fit pretty well with minimal work out of the envelope, with no FBA on this version! And the bustline fits extremely well. No gaping in the neckline whatsoever! This is a really crappy picture, but I think you can tell how smooth the neckline lays against my chest:



I started with a size 18 and added some extra length at the bustline seam and some extra at side seams for "insurance". I ended up removing all of the length plus some, and all of the "extra" at the side seam too. The under bust seam was WAY too low...it was at my waist at the side seam! I had to remove alot from that seam, and I did so just by basting a deeper seam allowance, then checking the fit before stitching.

This little top has optional ties, and it pulls over the head. I definitely added the ties because I didn't want to emphasize the boxy, scrub top appearance. I can't decide if I like the ties or not though. They seem to pull at that seam and make me feel maternity-toppish. Ugh.

I like the idea of a pullover, cotton top in theory. Dangit. I do think I'll make it again in a softer fabric, maybe a voile or maybe a lawn like a Liberty. Still debating the length too. I'm kind of into longer tops these days, but this one might need a deeper hem. It's hitting me at the widest part of my bum. Yay.

Here's a saucy arms pose:


The sleeves fit great! Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with the pattern. I think if I were happier with my figure then I'd be ecstatic with it! I'm not so happy with the bod these days. I'm surrounded by people who look wonderful but are dieting and it confuses me & makes me think there's something wrong with ME because I'm not on the diet bandwagon.

And yes, I know this makes me a little looney. I can deal.

As for my top, I think it will have to sit in the closet for a few days and marinate.

You know, these aren't the greatest pictures. I've screwed up the settings on my camera and I'm getting mighty aggravated! I can't get the resolution correct. Grrr. Well, there's that and try taking a self-timed photo with this going on:


Camera hog. :P

24 comments:

  1. Cute top! I love your yellow accents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cute fabric! Maybe if you tried elastic in the back instead of ties, it'd feel more fitted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the top! But if you really think it is too scrub-topish, maybe try a black tank top underneath and a necklace with a large black pendant that sits on your neck above the tank top`s neckline. This will probably dress it up enough to make it less scrubby.

    That last picture is hilarious! Gee, I wonder who`s genes made that kid of your so wacky - hmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd better not leave that top marinating too long or you're gonna find ME digging through your closet looking for it. I love it! I think it's very flattering on you, and I'm NOT just saying that to suck up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - I was looking at the top so intently that I just noticed the shoes! Too cute. Now I love the whole outfit even more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute, cute,cute! don't leave that one hanging in the closet, it looks great on you. Nice to know that it doesn't need an FBA. I've added this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very cute top, and I don't think it looks like scrubs at all. Wear it and be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think scrubs either, it's cute. What about a yellow tank?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, i love that top! I think it looks so cute on you. I cannot wear yellow (pale redhead) as it washes me out, but i love yellow, so i REALLY love this fabric, with that little yellow bird on it.
    Anyways, as always, excellent job.
    Oh, by the way, i saw Star Trek this weekend! WOW!!! Serious eye candy in that movie..who knew Spock could be such a hottie???
    It was pretty amazing, and i cannot wait to see it again. Even the husband wants to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth Conky7:53 AM

    I think it looks great on you. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your boy cracks me up! And I know EXACTLY what you mean about the pullover woven top. I love the idea in theory, but I've tried 3 in the past few weeks that have all gone straight to the Goodwill pile and not into my closet. :( Are we just too used to knit tops and feel weird in the woven ones? Or they actually unflattering? I guess we are both having trouble.

    Oh, and BTW, your top looks great in the pictures, if that helps any.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the top (and the goofball kid), and I agree with you that a softer drapey cotton will give you the fit and look you're looking for. Love the shoes, too (I have them in red)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ou look great the way you are. A new award coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the top is super cute. Makes me want to rush out and purchase the pattern. Love, love, love the yellow shoes - details please? g

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one cute top on you. Those shoes are super cute too

    ReplyDelete
  16. That last photo made me laugh out loud. That was me in high school and college and, well, now *cough*. A few years ago when we were bargaining for a contract I showed up in the background on a few pictures that made it into the newspaper. Oops.

    Love the top, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:27 PM

    I loved your pictures! This top is very flattering. I think you look great.

    SherryV

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pic of your son, don't they just make you laugh. The top looks great and so do you, bugger the dieting friends, we can only do what is right for us, right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This top looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this top on you too! It does "not" look scrubbish....far from it. It looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the top... real cute with those shoes!
    ... and I'm not on the diet bandwagon either. I got on it about a month ago and lost about 8 lbs... since I've gained it all back. sigh.
    oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this top! I like the white cami, but black or yellow would be really pretty, too. Or how about red?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute top & fabulous shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It may not be your fave, but it's really cute! Girlfriend, I have to tell you, NEVER get on the diet bandwagon cuz everyone eventually falls off. Simply find what works for you and stick to it. You'll be much happier.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &