Saturday, July 03, 2010

Burda Magazine 1-10-133

This is one of those garments I overlooked until someone else made a beautiful rendition. (Michele, I'm talking to you!)

Here's the line drawing:
As soon as I saw Michele's gorgeous tunic, I knew the exact fabric I could use. I've had it for nearly 12 years! It's a beautiful, creamy lawn with mauve/lavender flowers and tiny turquoise sprigs. I had the perfect mini-piping in my stash too, for the yoke & collar.

Sorry, this isn't a modeled photo. It's raining and I just wanted to get the pictures quick! Here's a photo from of the front:


I had read Michele's blog both times she made this top, so I was aware that the front pleats were probably going to be unflattering. Still, I decided to go ahead and put them in, just to see, and yup, she was right. Totally preggo. I don't know what those Burda pattern drafters were smokin when they made this one. It would have been so cute if they had just drafted a flat front tunic!

I fixed it though, I topstitched them down, all the way to the hem. They ended up looking like pintucks:


My favorite part is the rounded yoke insert. I loved the piping in the magazine photo, and I really like the pop of turquoise. I haven't found/decided on buttons yet, so no buttonholes either. I can still wear it with a cami & no buttons.



The sleeves have little pleats, and a vent with cuff. I was going for a more feminine, airy feel, so I added these bias ties to the sleeves instead of a cuff:


The tunic features that awesome mandarin collar, also piped:



I don't know if you've noticed yet, but there are alot of fiddly bits with this pattern. Lots of extra detailing, most seams are topstitched.


Here's the back view. I had the same poufy effect that Michele had in back too. I didn't stitch these pleats down (like the front), because I don't think it would have worked as well, and I didn't want to mess up the fit. Instead, I opted to insert bias ties into the side seam. I'll just tie up some of the excess in back and live with the "blousing" effect.


Here's a close up of the back yoke & pleats. The lawn presses to crisp and smooth!


Even the hem was fiddly. It's just a turned up (twice) hem, 1/4-3/8" deep. I failed to take a photo of it, but it has a shirttail hem. I don't think its noticeable in the magazine until you go to look at the layout. I like it! I just don't have a picture of it. Here's the hem though:



And that's it! This has been the thing occupying my sewing time for the better part of 2 days (and I cut it out the day before I started my 1940s shorts, so it languished on the table for 48 hours!)

Next up, I really want to cut out a couple more of the 1940s pattern in shorts length and possibly one pair in capri pants. I'm not sure how that wide leg will translate to that length? Anyone have some cute period photos I can use for inspiration?

I'm also waiting for this to come in the mail, I have been stalking ebay & etsy for a while now for it. It was only listed a few minutes when I snatched it up, HA!


It annoys me that I had to buy it. I bought it back before it was OOP, years and years ago. I just can't find it, drat it. Have absolutely NO idea what happened, but I wonder if I loaned it to my sister or a girlfriend. Because I can't imagine I would have gotten rid of it. Anyway, I can't wait to make my own Audrey wardrobe. Well, in Audrey-esque plus size wardrobe, anyway.

I even watched Funny Face last night, in preparation.


Have a good holiday weekend to my US friends!!

14 comments:

  1. Love the new tunic! May I ask how you were able to stitch the piping so closely? Was it just a piping foot or do you have some fabulous secret? I sure can't figure out how to do it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you go! You're like a machine. that little top is adorable and I think I'd go without buttons and wear a cami. Lovely. g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tunic! I muslined one today that has several small tucks down the front. S3786. GiGi made it a couple of times. I'm still in a quandry about those relased tucks in front on a plus size girl. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute top, I like the ties on the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My, how girlie that fabric is... hee hee. It came out great! I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the bib-front shirt (and man, do those Burda crack-smokers ever like them)... but between your cute version and Michelle's, I might have to take a closer look at this. I think I will just draft out the pleats right at the start (well, if you can't learn from TWO people's lessons...)


    My word verification is: "wayst". As in "Man, what a wayst. I wish I still had a wayst." See? Multipurpose word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I like the turqoise pop, and that fabric is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tunic. And I am sooo jealous of your new pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing seamtress. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fabric and all the detail on the blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic job on the tunic! I love the changes that you made...in fact, I may go back and stitch down the front pleats and add a back tie to mine. Your looks wonderful, and the contrast piping is fantastic. I love the changes you made to the sleeves/cuffs. What a great set of solutions for taking away that puffiness in the original draft.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful tunic! the fabric is so summery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your cheerful piping made my day! You've got me thinking I need some new cotton shirts... and as for that Audrey pattern, WOW!!! I want, I want, I want!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty, fresh approach. I'd use buttons. You can always leave them open if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore Funny Face! I have that Vogue pattern and have never made it up, shame on me. I love your tunic the piping looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! <3