Here's my summer seersucker inspiration, if you missed it. This dress was featured on the Satorialist. (Note the very "retro" 1994 pattern I found for my dress!)
I think I came pretty close, especially considering I'm not a thin Italian street fashionista. I LOVE my finished dress too! I wore it yesterday and got loads of compliments (which sorta surprised me, since it's such a non-structured dress).
Let's start at the top! The bodice has non-functioning buttons (the pattern calls for buttonholes, but the neckline is plenty wide enough to slip over my head, so I skipped them).
I used 4 mis-matched vintage pearl buttons of nearly the same size.
I topstitched the neckline and cap sleeve edge, to hold the facing into place (and just because I thought it needed the finishing touch).
If I have any beef at all, it's that the sleeve facings are really wide. See them peeking out above? They don't do that when you wear it, but I suppose they *could* if you weren't careful. I might trim these back quite a bit. Next time I'll probably just use a bias binding for neck and sleeve edge.
I also skipped interfacing. For such a breezy dress, it seemed unnecessary. The hem is turned up about 2.5". I think it could use another inch or so, but that's OK.
In from of my "lucky bamboo", which reminds me of something. As I was finishing it up and then trying it on I realized why I loved the style so much. It's very "Japanese pattern book" in it's simplicity.
Yesterday, I wore it with my navy Keds, which got a little messy while I was taking pictures in the early morning dew.
You'd have thought I was wearing a super-expensive pair of shoes from the way the kids acted at school yesterday. They LOVED the Keds. Ha. Go figure. Everything 80's really IS in style right now. I must have had a dozen pair of Keds as a kid.
All in all, a successful dress project. I'll be reusing this pattern again!