Sunday, April 15, 2012

RMS Titanic


I woke up tonight (we have storms in the area) and looked at the clock only to realize roughly 100 years ago that moment, the Titanic struck the iceberg that would sink her.



It's probably a little odd that I (we, the majority of us) know this fact.  But perhaps it's also a fitting memorial in it's way.



After that, I was unable to go back to sleep so I started (rather morbidly) doing a little research.  What were the passengers doing right now, 100 years ago?

Right this minute, 2:20 a.m. EST, is noted as the official time of the sinking of Titanic.


The Carpathia would arrive to assist in rescue at 4:00 a.m.


The final passenger boarded the Carpathia from a lifeboat at 8:30 a.m.



It's still rather awe-inspiring, isn't it?


3 comments:

  1. I love all things Titanic.I Always have. Loved the start of the mimi-series on TV last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Evil Monkeys are very interested in the Titanic, they always get a Titanic book when we make our weekly trek to the library. So imagine their utter THRILL a few months ago to discover that it sank on.... wait for it... The Big One's BIRTHDAY.

    She was thrilled beyond belief to have that (rather morbid) connection.

    Of course, being only seven and eight (well, nine now), they don't really have a grasp on the astonishing death toll part of it. But they sure do love to read about the Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taught a unit on Titanic with my 7th graders for years and they are always fascinated with it. The last survivor, Millvinia Dean, died about a year and a half ago - she was an infant when it happened.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &