Saturday, May 24, 2008

BWOF 2-2008 #122

A "Mod Tunic"...not my usual style, but with all the skinny leg stuff in the stores, I thought it was worth giving a whirl! Plus, I had this Mod-ish knit that might work in stash.


As I said before, I added an FBA to the front pieces, and eased that new dart in the side seams rather than actually make a dart. I suppose I could have rotated the dart into the pleats in the front, but I was worried enough (rightly so) that this top already had too much fullness over my bust.

The neckline is VERY cute on. But the shoulders are very narrow and very widely spaced...almost falling off my shoulder spaced. Here's a closer shot of the neckline:


Sadly, I'm not thrilled with THAT much fullness falling from my bust area. It's TOO full. I'm thinking I might decrease the pleats to just tucks instead. The tunic actually does have some shaping to it, you just can't tell with all that fullness in the front.

I didn't do the back zip, but cut the back pieces on the fold instead. I'm working with a knit instead of a woven/stretch woven as suggested. Surprise, surprise but the instructions for this one are really pretty decent! The only thing that was cagey was the yokes, because it sort of left out the part where you stitch the yoke facings to the yokes RST. It does tell you to turn them though. (It's just up to you to figure out what to turn!)

I also stitched the sleeves flat before doing the side seams. With a woven I would have followed the directions. Sadly, I stitched the sleeves in BACKWARDS!!! Entirely my fault, and I didn't notice until everything was serged and basically finished except for hems. Drat it.

I'm not sure if I want to fiddle with ripping it out and re-doing the sleeves. That's an itty-bitty seam. Plus, there are a few other things I'd like to tweak on this one. Like maybe widening that shoulder area on the yoke, and lowering the armscye a bit. It's pretty snug under my arm, although I can't really tell how much of that is the BACKWARD SLEEVE. Argh. AND since I'm not crazy about the fullness in front, I can adjust that too and have another go.

Luckily, I have another Mod-ish print in stash, but I'm not sure I've got enough to give it a go with this tunic. I'll have to lay it out and see.

More later!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:38 PM

    It's so cute!! I love the print - it works so well with the pattern design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:27 PM

    this is cute Angie
    you know what? i made this,, and I wore it with a belt, it worked out quite well and I totally love mines, it very very soft and yours look like it comfy too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you. You are so talented! sigh...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! The fabric suits the style well. I say make another to try the changes you want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! I'm so impressed with your talent ... I'd like to get there some day ;-) I have only made one thing in knit and unfortunately, where I had to rip out and re-do it left holes! The wash didn't take them out. bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a terrific top! Very much like the ones I see in RTW right now.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &