Sunday, May 04, 2008

Hip Skirts - Fin.

Favorite Things Hip Skirts

I have bitten the bullet this morning and finished the Pleated Skirt from the Favorite Things Hip Skirts pattern. I'm still not completely happy with the length, but it is wearable now at least.

The discrepancy between the pattern photo and the finished skirt length was really not in my imagination either. Here's the pattern photo:


and here's my finished skirt:


I ended up not adding a contrast band as suggested by several of you, which I would normally do to add length. But I already had this contrast yoke and I felt that another print would be "too contrasty". Instead, I changed the yoke dimensions.

The pattern calls for the yoke (6" wide approx) to be seamed at the side seams and then folded in half lengthwise creating approx 3" depth for the yoke. I skipped this part and left the yoke 1 layer of fabric, making a casing at the top and seaming the bottom edge to the skirt. This added 3+ inches to the finished length. And it was STILL a bit too short!!

Obviously I'm not 20 anymore so I'm not wearing it way DOWN THERE on my hips, but even if I were I don't think the skirt would be as long as it appears in the photo. And I barely turned up 3/8 inch to hem this. Teeny hem.

I'm also not fond of my yoke fabric choice. I didn't think it would show with a top since it was only (supposed to be) about a 3" depth, so I wasn't worried about the print. However, by increasing the yoke depth to 6", I created a solid light-colored band of fabric right across the widest part of me. Not terribly flattering.

I'm just glad its finished so I can move on! I might wear it out and see if I like it. It's probably not going to be my favorite thing though. No pun intended.

11 comments:

  1. OMG look at that skinny body. You've been keeping secrets woman!! Love the skirt. Wear it. A lot. The yoke does NOT accentuate the hips because the rest of the fabric is very bold and draws the eye to it. So there. Pfffft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I mean "very bold" in a good way. In case you were wondering ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.:P Thank you! I've lost a few pounds, but only a very few! I photograph well from straight on, side view is something else, haha ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great! Kuddos to you! You should join me on Flicker for May(d)by Me ... that's the only way I'm going to get my stuff made! http://flickr.com/groups/713095@N20/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely skirt. Perfect for summer and beautiful fabric. Good save with the yoke - 3 inches shorter would have made life interesting, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you girls! I'm going to wear it this week if it's warm enough! I trust your opinions! So if you say it's not too short, I'm going to run with it.

    and Keely...I don't need that kind of interesting, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute skirt, Angie. I think this will be a big summer piece for you. Skirts are so easy and cool. I think the length is fine and flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the length is good on you. The skirt looks great. I didn't even notice the contrast fabric until you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I just want that pattern so much more! I think the skirt looks great, the length is spot on - any longer would equal dumpy and shorter, well you know. g

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love wearing skirts! Now you make me want to sew a skirt! And at 50, I just KNOW the picture on the pattern will NEVER be close to what shows up in my mirror! But, thanks for the inspiration...I think I'll look for a skirt pattern next time I'm in town!

    *Heidi*

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &