Sunday, January 01, 2012

Goals for '12

Happy New Year!

I've enjoyed reading everyone's 2011 recap and new goals and resolutions for '12 so far.  I went back and revisited my "goals for '11" post from one year ago to see how I fared (I usually fare pretty awfully, ha!)  This verdict?  Not too shabby!

I had 10 goals last year.  How'd I do in 2011?  Well...

I totally failed on #1 (pay off my credit card; but I made progress!), #7 (sew one vintage pattern per month; dismal failure) and #9 (fill my closet with handmades; ditto).   I would say I did reasonably well on #2 (bake more bread & treats) for the first half of the year and then fizzled out on the 2nd half of the year.  I can do better.

I was a slam dunk success story on the rest:
#3: Plant a bigger garden:




Sadly the 110+ degree temps for several weeks killed most of my garden earlier than I would have liked.

#4 (become more self-sustaining), #5 (buy local and Made in USA), #6 (thrift more) were rousing successes too.  I'm much more thoughtful when I purchase new and I always look at the country of origin label if it's a "store bought" item, even cosmetics or cleaning products.  I've purchased almost totally handmade and vintage/thrifted items this year for our home, and I've tried my hand at making stuff too, like laundry detergent.


(I use recipe #3 from this page: 10 Homemade Laundry Soap Recipes, except I use these proportions and I use 1-2 capfuls of Gain liquid detergent per bottle for scent (I like recipe #4 when I do the powdered version):
1/2 bar Fels Naptha
1 c washing soda
1/2 c Borax)



#8 (buy quality fabrics) was also achieved, although to be honest, I didn't buy  many new fabrics.  I don't really need any!  I did invest in some quality linens and shirting cottons though, and a couple of pieces of vintage rayon and cotton.

#10 was my favorite success though, spend quality time with my kids.  This included a fabulous trip to Yellowstone National Park:




But we also just hung out and did every day things together too.

Looking forward, what would I like to change for the new year... Hmmm.  I like all of my goals from last year!  I think I'll  keep and amend those.  They're more "life" goals really anyway.

1.  Pay off the credit card (still super do-able and always a worthwhile goal.  If my youngest will stay off the dirtbike and/or wear a helmet).

2.  Plan meals & cook more!  I'm terrible at this during the school year, but I started planning meals about mid-way through September and it has made a world of difference.  Plus...leftovers for lunch saves time too!   Of course bake more bread and homemade treats is included here again too.

3.  Plant a bigger garden.  (Keeping this one!) I enjoyed trying new varieties of veggies last year.  I'm going to try strawberry pots this year.

4.  Spend with good conscience.  Grow my own food, shop at the farmer's market, shed excess "stuff", buy handmade and thrifted, shop Made in USA or quality imports.  We're all responsible for fair labor practices! It's only through our spending habits that we can initiate change.

6.  Sew every week!  I'd like to sew an average of two garments per month.  There are some lovely Ottobre and Burda magazine patterns I'd like to try, not to mention my vintage stash.  I need a goal too; two garments per month are completely within the realm of possibility.  I'd like to turn things around on the garment sewing front here.

I'm sad to say I have fallen into the trap of "waiting til I lose weight"for some things, including sewing.  Well, I'm tired of waiting.  I LIKE to sew.  Who CARES if my wobbly bits show more than I'd like in that skirt or this dress.  Who CARES if it's probably not an "appropriate" choice for my size/figure.  I LIKE to sew and I LIKE wearing cute fabrics and items that I design and make.  I'm going to sew more.

7.  Learn a new skill: Photography:  I really love taking photos.  So far, it's just been a casual hobby, but I'm ready to get more serious and really LEARN all the things I'm just guessing at right now.

8. Enjoy my job.  I need to get better at time-managing my day so that work is work and home is home, and both will be more enjoyable!  I like my job place and what I'm teaching; that's all that matters as far as work goes.  I'm going to focus on that and that alone while I'm there.  I'm going to ignore everything else and come home at 3:45!

9.  Redecorate my house to reflect my style.  This is a biggie!  I've been living in a limbo of hand-me down furnishings and non-style, really not paying much attention to this part of my life for long enough.  I love vintage and farmhouse chic; I've been working on this one for about a month now.  I want my little house to be all ME! After all, I spend a great deal of time here. :)

10.  Live happy, every day.  Life is special and fleeting and I want to fill it up with all the things that  make me happy: my kids, writing more, sewing more, taking more photos, sharing here on the blog more.   Living in the moment, that's my goal.

Thank you to all of you who visit here.  Here's to a bright, shiny New Year to all of us!

9 comments:

  1. I love your number 10 goal! I need to incorporate that one more into my life also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number 6, the second paragraph really rang a bell with me. I want to get fit which may include dropping a few pounds, but I'm not going to wait and I'm going to sew what I like, not what fashion dictates. Also, I may just start a small veggie garden this year and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recap and the goals. I'm also working toward the living happy - it's good. I also want to spend more time with friends. g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your goals all sound like fabulous ones. I wish you complete success for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! I hear you on #6. I love looking cute and I deserve to look cute even if I'm not at my idea weight. If I do lose the weight, well I can just take my me made things in or make something new. Your sense of style is so awesome so I say use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great goals! I especially like #10 and plan to adopt it for myself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Ang! Congrats on your accomplishments, and good luck in 2012... I'll be watching! Muwahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your resolution Angie. I forgot to make any! But I like your and might borrow a few.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great goals! I think I should add some sewing to mine now :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &