Sunday, May 02, 2010

Colette Sencha pt 1

This weekend I had huge sewing plans. The problem was, I couldn't find suitable fabric in my stash for any project or pattern I wanted to make. Or I had the perfect fabric, but not the right amount of yardage. Grr. Don't you hate when that happens?

Finally I decided to try out the Colette Sencha blouse:


I love how retro this one is! It reminds me of the vintage Simplicity I did several weeks ago. And Actually, that vintage pattern has a technique I may borrow for the sleeves on this Sencha, but more on that in a minute.

I decided to use a fabric piece I had actually bought for another project (last SUMMER!), this red Recess cotton print by American Jane:


Now, I'm not saying I was never going to get to that other project (a wrap skirt from the Weekend Sewing book). But after an entire year has gone by, it doesn't really look promising. So the fabric is fair game for another project, right??

I cut a 14 through the neck & shoulders, and an 18 at the side seams. I don't know if I actually will need all that side seam room, so some of it may come out.

The pattern is mostly together at this point. I have the pleats in, the fronts sewn to backs, and am at the point where you're supposed to turn back the sleeves and hand stitch them.

Now, my vintage pattern actually had sleeve facings and they were a little finicky but went together ok in the end. These turn back "self" facings on the Sencha are a pain in the rear so far. I'm not sure what the problem is exactly? I know its not my cutting, because I checked.

As marked, the "stitch to" dot was too high for me (sleeve hole strangled my poor arm!) so I had to pick that seam out and try again with a lowered dot. So there was that little mishap. Then, when I followed the directions to "turn under 1/4 and stitch. Then turn under at dots and hand stitch", I end up with way too much fabric at the shoulder seam. As in, I could make a good 1/2" tuck right there.

It's possible I could ease it in (thus the hand stitching??) But I'm not sure it will ever lie flat, which annoys me, WHICH is why I set it aside until tomorrow. Maybe I'm supposed to turn it back more at the shoulder level than I am (I can't find my dot, even though I marked it!)

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow to show you! And hopefully, the rest will go quickly so I can wear it. The good news is, it looks like a pretty perfect fit! Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE that fabric! I can't wait to see this one finished- it's going to be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was making me cringe big time. Why not try out new patterns in muslin first? I sure hope this one turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just completed this blouse a few weeks ago. I ended up topstitching those hems on the blouse after I got the sides to fit. The blouse runs a little on the large size and my next one I plan to go down a size in the upper chest/shoulder area. I am sure you will figure it out after letting it set for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! I can't wait to see it. I love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to make the Sencha, too. I look forward to seeing your finished product. I love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pattern is on my wish list. I can't wait to see it. My brain started scrambling when I was reading the sleeve problem. I blame that on it being Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! <3