Monday, December 28, 2009

b&w.


In my usual nuttery fashion, I skipped over the minimal effort required to finish the turquoise/lime floral circle skirt to make an entirely different skirt. Because I have SADD (Sewing ADD).

You might recognize this as my Zooey Deschanel inspired B&W floral skirt, planned a few weeks back. Still floral. Still linen. So at least I'm consisent!

No pattern used...just ingenuity & creativity! Oh, and a little bit of math. I used my waist measurement to create a straight waistband (which I've decided I kinda prefer to shaped waistbands. My hips make a sort of "shelf" anyway, and this type of waistband stays put. The shaped waist wants to shift around on that hip shelf alot.) Sew What Skirts has instructions for this type of skirt if you need further guidance in creating the waistband. I highly recommend this book!

I used 2 widths of fabric (26" length) to create the skirt front & back. I wanted a very full skirt, really "1950s" in feel. I had pockets to put in the side seams, but completely forgot to insert them when stitching it up! Grrr. It would have been a perfect pocket skirt.

I used a lap zip on the side for closure. I just didn't have a black zip to use for the exposed zipper treatment the original featured (even though I'm definitely going to try that in a future project). The hem is very deep, 4 inches, bringing it to the perfect, right above knee length.


Hey, and look at me getting creative with accessories these days. I bought this belt from Forever 21 and I love it. I didn't really have anything to wear with it when I bought it, but I figured it would come in handy soon enough! (I'll have to remember to suck in my belly while wearing it though, HA!)

And I promise to finish the closure on the circle skirt so I can get a pic of it this week too. It's every bit as cute.

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous skirt! Wanna make me some? and, um, it would appear you have your hands in pockets - but what do I know? g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! That fabric is gorgeous and I love the belt with it. It looks great without the belt, too. You need to wear it with a little cardi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute skirt, love the belt! It's too cold here to even think about wearing a skirt, so I'm in the midst of a pants binge. Really looking forward to seeing the vintage skirt on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a totally cute skirt! You are apparently a "girly girl"! Your skirts are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so flippin' cute!! I SO wish I could wear little knee-length skirts, but my "Gee-you-have-big-calves" calves are WAY bigger than yours (which I could only even say they were because you told me so, because I sure wouldn't have known otherwise.)

    Hmmm. Do I hate you now? I'll have to think about it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its very cheerful, great for a winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! Way to branch out with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you - getting all math-happy with a skirt! Love the results! This is exactly the kind of quick project I need to get my long lost mojo back - thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute, Angie! I like that you still like florals so much. It seems like not many people do these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I love the floral.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love the print! Your skirt looks so very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one cute skirt...very beautiful and girly...love the print also...Have a lovely holiday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shannon S10:57 PM

    I love it!! After seeing this earlier, I went to B&N and got the Sew What! Skirts book. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &