Thursday, December 31, 2009

vintage.

(This slightly pigeon-toed pose is for Shannon. hee.)

Why I'm making (cute) linen skirts in the dead of winter, I have no idea. I did it last year too. Anywho...here's my half-circle skirt. I used the Sew What Skirts book for creating the waistband and the half-circle skirt pattern.

Setting up the camera is a good opportunity for a closeup of this awesome, vintage floral linen, and another peek at the fold over elastic (FOE) hem:


I think it might have been a tablecloth in its previous life. Or possibly drapes. Doesn't the print resemble these:

Crappy screenshot, but do you recognize the movie?? It's Apollo 13 (which I assume used period decor)! That would date my linen to the very late 60s. A slightly better screenshot and another skirt closeup:


And a few more skirt pics. I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so I just brought them all! The half-circle makes this a swishy skirt with lots of fun movement.


I couldn't really decide on shoes, but I kinda dig the yellow.


Hey...in the past several days I've treated you to a peek at 3 different corners of my house. The clean corners, of course. See that tiny picture on the upper left (on top of the Victrola)? That's me on a great big horse at the Buffalo Ranch, circa 1973.


That means that photo is younger than my skirt. This amuses me greatly.

And since I just realized a bit ago what day it is, I'll take this time to wish all of you a

Happy New Year!!!

Be safe, Be merry, and I'll see you on the flip side!

16 comments:

  1. Another adorable skirt, I must check this book out. I always love your choice of fabrics.

    Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, Angie! I think the yellow shoes are a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the skirt, and I think you're on to something... sew a springy/summery/twirly skirt in the dead of winter, and bring a smile to your face. Good plan, I'm adopting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the skirt! And the shoes are too cute. (And Apollo 13 is one of my fave movies!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:21 PM

    I love the yellow shoes! Very attractive skirt on you. Adore vintage florals. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous skirt. I think you have just made a darling summer skirt for the same reason I have just cut out a toile for a winter jacket - pure sewing contrariness :)
    Karen (in Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome skirt - I love, love, LOVE vintage drapery-like fabric, it's just so darn cool. I am also liking those cute yellow shoes - I always enjoy a good mary jane. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic skirt! My mother used to have an ongoing disagreement with my grandmother, claiming that my grandmother had made her a jacket from the same fabric as the drapes when she was a kid. The main difference between me and my mother is...I wouldn't have cared! I love your skirt, and love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your skirt! You have made some really feminine and pretty things this past year!! Happy 2010

    ReplyDelete
  10. A.dorable! As usual! Cute shoes, too...as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are funny - how did you even find those screen shots?!?!? I love the skirt, and the yellow shoes are also really cute...

    Marybeth
    http://puppydogtails-marybeth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving the fact that you used a vintage fabric and a new sewing book to make that really kewl skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! That fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember that print from my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Winter is THE time for sewing floral skirts...more time to be out and about looking cute in them during summer :0) love it, happy to have ound your blog, following
    Lynea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:22 PM

    Oh love this! I wanted to make some skirts last summer and never got around to it. I REALLY need to get cracking and make some before it gets hot again.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &