Monday, December 07, 2009

skirted.

I'm sewing! Well not right this second. Right this second, I'm typing a blog post and curled up on the couch in my birthday snuggy (the goofiest, but best birthday present! The kiddos got me a snuggy and a book, and I have a hard time convincing myself to get out of it.)

I traced this yesterday. It's BWOF 12/09 #122:
Cute little skirt, but I really like the back view. The triangular flanges you see on the front view are part of a crescent shaped piece that creates a cute flounce in the back. Vaguely similar to the Hotpatterns Flippy skirt, if you have that pattern. The crescent just goes in the opposite direction vertically (Ugh. It's too early to be thinking).


That's a good thing, because while I love the look of the line drawing of the HP skirt, I'm not sure my bum needs to be hugged by that seam line. The BWOF skirt has more of a swishy effect, moving away from the bum. Aren't you glad I take the time to piece all this together for you?

Here's the garment view from Burda's website, which is kind of screwed up it seems. This particular skirt doesn't have a line drawing link. I found the teeny tiny line drawing (which I enlarged a bit) in the "table of fabric amounts" link. I hope they don't go to "no line drawings" on the website the way Simplicity did at first!! That's the only way you know what the garment looks like half the time!!

Their version is in fine wale corduroy, and I would totally use the same if I had any in stash! I never seem to find it in my local store and never think about ordering it online until I want to make a project.

I'm using a faded (on purpose) red gabardine I've had lying around forever. I once had it earmarked for Simplicity 4068 trouser/pants, shown in this storyboard (still one of my favorite plans):



Such a fun, happy summer SWAP plan! I actually made two of these garments, the black capri's and the red print knit top. I used the dotted georgette for another top that was very similar to the one shown in the plan. I blogged about it in January.

Hopefully I can work on the little skirt throughout the week. It looks pretty straightforward. I need to read the construction instructions. (Is the Conjunction Junction song playing in your head now, the way it is in mine?)

I'm especially wondering about the zip...it has a side zip marking on the pattern but the "real" photo clearly has a fly zip. Really? I'm doing one or the other, not both. Right now I'm leaning toward fly front, because I don't think I have a red invisible zip (and my idiotic local Wal-Mart got rid of all sewing supplies except elastic. Actually even elastic may be gone by now.)

Getting late...Have a Marvelous Monday!!

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love that pattern. It will look really cute in red, I think. There is a similar skirt made out of sequin fabric thats longer and a plainer design - that's the one with the side invisible zipper. The shorter one you're making has the front zipper. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pattern, I have that HP too. It's so crazy for WM to eliminate the fabric departments, esp in small towns. Sometimes, I just need colored thread or a zipper, and don't want to go to Victoria, 45 min away versus Cuero, 15 min away and our local quilt shop only has 100% cotton threads and quilting supplies. She hasn't carried the cotton poly standard C&C most of us use on garments or evn Wright bias tape. That's not her focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've succumbed to the snuggy? Oh boy... Really great skirt pattern, I agree that it's better than the HP. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that skirt pattern is high on my list as well! I can't wait to see how yours turns out. I am trying to churn out a few winter skirts so fill out my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the bwof pattern too! The hp pattern is cute, but unless you have a fab bum, probably best not to accentuate....it has been years since I have had a fab bum :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the snuggy - do the dogs have their own, too?

    I can't wait to have some time to sew and make more clothes. Right now I'm thinking about ordering from Fabric.com. Don't tell the hubby. g

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really cute skirt! I will be looking for the completed garment in pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &