Tuesday, December 01, 2009

a-dorable.

Zooey Deschanel, I mean. Could she get any cuter?

I'm especially enamored of her Cotton commercial, and this skirt in particular is my favorite piece (I think! I love everything she wears in the commercial!)


That's a screenshot of the cotton commercial, so not the clearest. Here's another view, from behind.


I'm loving the exposed zip!! Anyone know of a tutorial somewhere for that look? I've seen it in RTW but I don't know that I've seen it in BWOF or another pattern co.??

If you haven't seen the commercial, you can watch it in entirety on their website here. You can also watch the other commercials in their new campaign, I like all of them!! Very interesting and fun marketing. I like the "Stylebook" aspect of the site too.

I was thinking this New Look pattern I have in stash would be a great starting point:

And I have this McCall's too:



Of the two, I think I prefer the NL, because I've already muslined the McCalls and it takes a LOT of fabric. It's pleated, THEN gathered. It's very full, which is nice I suppose. I'm not sure Zooey's skirt is quite that full.

My fabric is a cotton/linen blend. It's this fabric (in the pants) but in black & white.


Zooey's skirt fabric appears to be a voile or other lightweight fabric, but I'd freeze my tush off (even with tights) and I really want to wear it now with one of my new cute cardigans I got from Old Navy last week!

I need some ribbon for trim too. (I think the stripe is just part of the print in Zooey's skirt, but I really like it.) Grosgrain would probably work, if I could find it that narrow. Velvet I could find this time of year in that narrow width, but would be a pain to stitch on.

So...that's what I've been doing so far as sewing goes this week! Mostly daydreaming about projects. Do you ever get so overwhelmed by all the things you WANT to make that you get paralyzed by the indecision of where to start?

Now because I have Zooey fluffy bunny happiness in my head, I'm going to go watch me some of this:

11 comments:

  1. Love her.
    Love the skirt.
    Love elf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - she's absolutely adorable. Love the skirt you're going to make. I never even noticed the exposed zipper until you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a tutorial for an exposed zipper I found and kept, haven't tried it yet though...
    http://www.craftstylish.com/item/49907/how-to-sew-an-exposed-zipper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have both of those patterns. Can't wait to see how your's turns out. g

    ReplyDelete
  5. My guess is the skirt is batiste and it's the weight of the ribbons that's giving it the stabiilty and swing that you see (possibly underlining, but I don' think so).

    Can't you just wear tights and layers? Sure you can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with everything you said. Aren't you (we) brilliant? As for paralysis, it happens to me until the looming deadline (if there is one) forces me into decision. I'm there right now with a much needed cocktail dress for a holiday party (next Saturday)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of us get stimied by indecision. Brain clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these cotton commercials! The clothes are always fabulous - and Zooey Deschanel is made of awesome (yeah, I know total girlcrush here, LOL). Didn't even realize she was singing too!

    A pleated skirt that is also gathered? That sounds like torture actually! Use the other pattern ;D I have a vintage pattern for a skirt that has like eight darts all around and then its pleated... Needless to say, I did not have the attention span to finish that particular project...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Vogue Cynthia Steffe dress pattern has that exposed zipper. Sorry I don't have the number, but it should be on their 'what's new page.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. That indecision thing happens to me all.the.time. And not just with sewing either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Angie, I nominated you for the Honest Scrap Award (what the heck, why not?)

    http://beangirldesign.blogspot.com/2009/12/some-honest-thanks.html

    It's kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &