Sunday, July 05, 2009

Simplicity 3692: Built By Wendy

A new summer top...


I was inspired by this summery, cotton top by All Buttoned Up. I was wanting to use a woven too, so her cute variation was like permission! Be sure to visit her blog, she has lots of cute projects and a wry sense of humor I really enjoy. Here's her top (from last summer):


Now just up front I'll admit I wasn't looking for high fashion. I was looking for the easy, simple lines of the Built By Wendy line of clothes and patterns, and I went into this knowing this wasn't going to be super flattering for us chestier types. I'm OK with that. I just want to use some of my pretty 100% cotton prints and there's just so many skirts I can wear in this lifetime!

Now on to the pattern details! There is plenty of ease in this pattern, even though its for a knit. I started out cutting a yoke size 18 just to be safe, but ended up taking out about 5/8" from the front yoke. It was pretty gape-y. I can't imagine how big it would be in a knit, so just be aware.

The neckline was also a lot higher than I expected, and higher than I like. I can live with it, but I've already altered my pattern. Lastly, the armholes are way high and tight. I haven't fixed those yet. I'm going to sit and pick out my armhole bindings tonight while watching tv, then lower those suckers. Once that is fixed, I think I'll lose the bit of pulling under the arm that I get now when wearing the top, because it fits great everywhere except there.

Here's the little tucks I added (in the corner of the squared neckline on each side) to take up the excess neckline. You can't even see them in real life really. Isn't this a cute print?? I LOVE IT. It's from the RJR line of fabrics and is called "Everything but the Kitchen Sink". I think it's so feedsack-ish and reminds me of my Grandma Edna's housedresses. Of course since I was using a sweet calico, I had to add rickrack. Right?


I bound the armholes with a grey cotton fat quarter I had lying around. Lying around because....who needs a grey FQ?? I've got plenty left over to fix the bindings later.


And here's me in my barefoot, cuffed denim glory. I'm sure I'll wear this lots after I fix the armholes. It's too hot and humid to wear much of anything besides cotton!!

13 comments:

  1. Cute top, perfect for summer. Good luck with the armholes and yes, you are right, darling print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love those tucks!! and the ricrac-- super duper cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great in that top!!! Very summery especially with the bare feet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about the print. I LOVE it! Great top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great looking top,the fabric is perfect. Lots of fun detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice top, so summery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like it! The fabric is TOO cute and the rick rack just sets it off pefectly. It looks great on you, too. I love the cuffed jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The print is perfect. The top looks great. I'm sure it'll be better after you fix the armhole.

    The blog is looking cuter by the day. Love, love, love the new look. Guess that means you're not borrowing a computer any more? g

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute top an wearing it bare foot is even better, lol. I also love the skirt u made up in your last post. I am now back at home so my sewing should start up again as soon as I get my house back in order,ugh.....stop by my blog and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do wonders for it. I thought it looked like a sack off you but on it's cute. Your curvey figure does a lot for that top. Love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you - all cute in your new top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that top looks great on you! I love the ric rac you used to give it a little something special.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute!!! I love the print.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &