Wednesday, July 27, 2011

anthro-knockoff: Flurried Plumes Midi Skirt

It's finished!  And awfully cute, if I do say so myself:



You'll have to forgive the "inside" dressform photos, I'm still not upright for very long.

My inspiration skirt can be seen on the anthropologie website, the Flurried Plumes Midi Skirt.   I decided to make mine out of an ebay-purchased rayon leaf print.  The prints are completely different but have the same feel and some of the same tones too.

I did end up using a pattern for the base of the skirt, a 1980 See & Sew.  I used it this summer to make the cami (if you missed that project, check out the links in the sidebar!)  I lengthened the skirt by 5" and left off the ruffle.  Everything else was straight from the pattern (well, I did adjust the waistband length, but that was to be expected. Ahem.)  

I should have looked at the the inspiration photo again; I didn't realize the waistband was so wide and had 2 buttons.  Oh well!  I still think mine looks pretty good!  I could topstitch it, but I'm waiting to see if it stretches out too much on wearing (as linen has a tendency to do). 

The buttons were from my button box...I was shocked I had 6 of the right color and size!

All in all a super simple knockoff!  It normally would have taken a day or so to complete...but who's counting?

19 comments:

  1. I like your version better than Anthropolgie's...great fabric choice! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I got that catalog in the mail I wanted to make pretty much everything in it, including this skirt. However, now that I've seen your skirt I want to make it more than the Anthro one! So cute! And I like your fabric much better! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked yours better too. SUPER cute. I expect to see wearing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there is one thing I love, it is an anthro knockoff. I love yours better than the anthro version. The colors in your fabric are more vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! The fabric is perfect and I love the contrast waistband and button band! I'm going to be scouring my stash to see if I have anything I could use to make something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I wonder what you will wear on top? Brown, green, white? Hope that foot is getting better. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I love the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your version the most!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute, Angie! Love the fabric and contrasting button band. Great job and I hope you are back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great interpretation of the original skirt. You did a fabulous job on this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is great, better than anthro's, like your fabric more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely your best work this year. Love the colours and contrasts. I'm just rediscovering button down skirts. Great aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great! I love it. I really like the one little crossed thread on the buttons. g

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving your knock-off version! :) I agree with Sewfast: I like yours better than Anthro's. The fabric is just far more vibrant and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:35 AM

    So fracking cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fabulous! Great fabric choice, lovely sewing, and hooray for the button box. I hope your ankle gets well soon - sprains are more painful than breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable skirt. What a great idea to knock this off!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OHILOVE IT ILOVEIT ILOVEIT CAN I HAZ IT???

    come on, it's not like you can walk around in it right now....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love yours it's beautiful it really looks like it was purchased from a posh boutique :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &