Friday, July 08, 2011

in progress: Vogue 1224

So today I set out to make the CUTEST vintage sundress from a polka dot chambray.

After a few hours and numerous emails to Beangirl for venting, I set that project aside and moved to something less vent-inducing.  So I turned to one of the peasant-y patterns I've bought recently, Tracy Reese's Vogue 1224:

 I'm veering from the pattern directions a bit, in that I'm using a lawn instead of a knit.  To compensate, I just added 2.5" to the center front/center back pattern pieces (there is only 1" of ease in the measurements on the skirt as drafted for a knit!)  Hopefully that will work out, but I'm not too worried.  I've made so many peasant tops/bishop dresses in my life, and they're all drafted roughly the same way.  This one differs in the cut-on kimono-ish sleeve.  It was pretty interesting to mull over.

Construction has been super fast and easy, and since this is a very loose-fitting garment (at least mine will be, with the added inches!) no fit "fits".  Yay!  I didn't do any sort of adjustment to the pattern, other than lengthening the front bodice at CF about 3/4".  Sort of a super-cheater length-only FBA? I also added 4" to the length of the skirt pieces.  This is pretty short as drafted. 

I'm digging around for something to use for the cute tie and bow at the neckline.  I don't think I'll have enough self-fabric (well,  I tried, but I don't have a tube turner small enough for the tube I made!  Oops.)  I'm making this from 2 yards, so I had to get a little creative!

Hopefully finished garment pictures tomorrow... and maybe a polkadot chambray sundress after that.  Have a good weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:52 PM

    This pattern is in my queue as well. I'm interested to see how this turns out in a woven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very cute dress - love the fabric you have picked out. Mail me your tiny tube and I'll turn it for you :) g

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern, I just made it last week (but haven't blogged about it yet). I added 2" to the length, and wish I had added some to the bodice. As for the tie, I stitched the elastic together after feeding it thru the casing, then took a smaller skinny tie of fabric, snuck it around the elastic thru the buttonhole opening, and tied a bow. Looks exactly the same as the envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to use a woven...can't wait to see it...this pattern is in my queue..as tall as I am I'll probably have to add 8" to it, based on the reviews I've read..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... now I'm trying to decide if I could make this as a tunic since it's so short to start with (er, 'cause you know how I just love to wear a minidress an' all).... Ok, must have pictues to make a decesion. (I also still think you should make it in a knit too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its going to be interesting to see this finished in a woven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cute dress, I need to buy this pattern. Can't wait to see your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great dress, very cute. I can't wait to see it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have almost bought this pattern twice but decided not to since I always buy Vogue and for some reason don't make them. It's a really cute style! You have great photoshop skills. I need to learn how to make neat little photo layouts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Summery looking. I also liked your photos from the Yellowstone trip. We use to go to the Park in the Fall when our kids were younger...less people/more animals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this pattern and will be interested to see how it works for a woven.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &