Friday, April 13, 2012

Salme Patterns

Have you heard of this indie pattern company?  They are located in London and offer PDF patterns (available in their Etsy store, linked above), much like Sis Boom's fairly new line of PDF patterns. So, you have to download and print at home, then tape the sheets together.

I am loving their sleek, modern design aesthetic (I know.  Me.  Modern?)  These are all beautiful...








The size range seems to be from Bust 33" to 40-1/2", so not exactly a huge range, a big downside for me, and the reason I haven't purchased anything yet.  I typically don't bother purchasing modern patterns that I have to do a lot of grading on.

But, if you fall in their size range and don't mind printing and taping the sheets together (also not my favorite, but I sacrifice for Jennifer Paganelli's Sis Boom line!) then I think these look like they're worth a look at least!

The Etsy shop prices are in the $7 to $8 range, so very reasonable compared to other indie patterns.  As much as I love Colette Patterns, can I express I've always been a little disappointed in their price structure?  The new Iris Shorts Pattern is $16!  (In comparison, the Beignet skirt pattern, more complicated, is the same price).   And the digital Iris PDF version is still $12.  For shorts! 

And I've never purchased the Lady Grey jacket pattern because it's $20.  That's a lot of moolah for a very distinctive pattern that you likely won't ever re-create.  If I spend a good chunk on a pattern, I want to at least fool myself into thinking I will reuse the pattern multiple times, decreasing my ultimate "cost per wear", and justifying the initial pattern cost.

On the other hand, the Colette pattern booklets are like little works of art.  It's like buying a sewing "book" each time you get a pattern. I'm positive the publishing/printing costs justify the end cost of the pattern.  It's that pretty.

I do love Colette patterns and I'll probably buy a couple of the new ones.  Hey, I've got most of them now and I do appreciate the extended sizing.  Alot.  But that's a post for another day!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you for posting these. I think I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't bought any of these yet either, but I'm going to soon because they also have package deals on their etsy site where you can choose any 3 or 5 patterns for a reduced price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of the Salme patterns... but I won't be buying any anytime soon. For one thing... no sleeves. (heh) But they sure are pretty, I especially love that little spaghetti-strap babydoll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this. Some cute things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That peplum top is pretty fabulous! I've actually been looking for a good 1-yard top pattern to use up multiple project leftovers, since the Sorbetto is not very flattering on me at all, and that Peplum top looks like it might be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really do find great links and have a good take on them in terms of practicalities and economics. Salme makes clever fabric selections as sheer/semi-sheer shouts luxury. As you often show, the cheaper end of the big-4 pattern companies has some great styles too, especially if you switch into these finer fabrics. And though it is about a knitting goods company, here is someone who agrees with us all about size ranges and fashion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoiW5-uA3_E

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just learned about these patterns from another blogger who referenced your post. I am really liking the look of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just learned about these patterns from another blogger who referenced your post. I am really liking the look of these.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &