Monday, March 12, 2012

In Progress: The Muppets Dress Pt 3

What a lovely, lazy weekend!  It rained mostly, so I stayed in and did warm snuggly crafty things.  And napped.  I might have napped.

First up, dress progress:  I played with pattern adjustments, worried about losing the entire vintage pattern in the process, and realized something super obvious:  I already have a pattern EXTREMELY close to the inspiration dress in my stash!  In the words of Homer, Doh.

Inspiration Dress:



And...Vogue  9668:



Here's the line drawing:


And the sleeves from Vogue 8554 are also a perfect tulip match (the dress is cute too):


So at this point, I'm trying to decide whether I want to do more tweaks to my New York pattern tissue, or start from scratch with the Vogue.  I'm leaning toward trying the Vogue.  I love the neckline and the midriff band, and the circle skirt is already present.  And the sleeves!  I'll use those sleeves regardless.

I did pre-wash my seersucker fabric though!  In case you're just joining me, I have the stripe in Espresso:


Now it's Monday again and back to work!  But I have Spring Break next week, so my plan is to make real progress.

I leave you with the cutest pincushion ever:


Isn't it awesome in it's tiny bird basket glory?  And my flower head pins look so happy here.  I got it from Beth's Bagz on etsy.  It was REALLY hard to pick just one, but I love birds, and the little basket won (over a poodle who was seriously calling my name). 

Happy  monday!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's an excellent idea to go for Vogue pattern. I don't know about you, but I've been working with vintage patterns mostly and when I use a modern pattern I find they are most times just easier to construct and understand. Also fitting seems to go a little better. So good luck, love your fabric, it should be great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the latest Muppet movie and it was mucho awesome. I actually cried at the end when Kermit opened the stage door and the streets were filled with fans - I'm such a sap. Anywho, although I found Amy Adam's acting rather lackluster, her wardrobe was divine. I especially love the inspiration dress you have chosen. I cannot wait to see your version - you will look adorable for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the look of that second pattern with the tulip sleeves, so I just checked it out on patternreview. It has some negative reviews such as the midriff panel is under the bust, creating a maternity look, and the skirt not being cut on the fold (which you could easily remedy). Seems like it might be best to use the first Vogue and just use the sleeves from the other. Love the fabric you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog, and I am madly in love. I, too, am sewing obsessed and pin-up-era vintage obsessed and I think we should be besties ;)

    Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &