Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring Maxi Skirt


Yesterday morning while perusing Pinterest, I saw a really cute maxi dress tutorial pin and got all inspired to drag out some cotton crinkle gauze I've had stashed FOREVER.  (literally...since 2003? 2004?)  I didn't want a tank dress (I didn't have any tanks I could sacrifice), so I decided to make a skirt.

No pattern or tutorial followed (although the tank dress tutorial above, is pretty thorough, if you need one!)  I just cut lengths of gauze, size determined by holding the gauze at my waist and eyeballing how long I wanted it (adding about 6" for mistakes, casing and hem).  The panel width is double my hip measurement.  (At first, I had even more, since the gauze is very floaty, but that just added unnecessary inches so I hacked off about 10" per side!)

I did a very small "paperbag" waist casing, since I knew I wanted an elastic waist, but one that would still be cute if visible, but the ruffle should still sort of anchor a belt if I wear one:


The crinkle gauze will probably shrink up in the wash (I prewashed it eons ago, but that's how gauze is.  It is a shrinky-dink in fabric form).  I have about 1/2 a yard left though, so my plan is to just add a wide ruffle hem at the bottom if it shrinks up too much in length.

It's windy today and this sucker floated all over the place...but is surprisingly still fairly flattering:


In the top photo on the right, you can see the hem is about 3" deep.  I thought the extra "weight" might pull the skirt down so it didn't puff out as much around my hips.  Ha.  Wishful thinking.

I wore this outfit yesterday about 5 minutes after finishing the hem.  I wish I had a statement necklace...Are bib necklaces still "in"??  That would be perfect.  Or one of those fabric bead necklaces??  Help a girl out!

I did get some interesting double-looks and stares while out and about.  I started to worry I had black panties on, but Lu assured me I didn't.  And judging from these photos, it's not particularly sheer either.  It *might* have been because I was in Atwoods Farm and Home. 

I also busted out the summer shoes...my favorite sandals, from Modcloth.  I even painted my toenails.


Super easy and quick project.  Took about an hour start to finish.  I have big plans for a couple more!

Spring Break Day #1:  Successful. 

20 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful billowing in the wind! I love the color, especially paired with a red top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY SEWING POST!!!!!

    you have inspired me. i have a dinner date tonight and it calls for a maxi skirt. (erm, one that i don't royally F up in the back, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ! I LOVED your pattern print placement - its still making me laugh !! :-))

      Delete
    2. Ha ! I loved your pattern print placement ! Its STILL making me laugh ! x :-))

      Delete
  3. Ang - that's beautiful. I love how you paired it. I wonder if I have gauze, hmmmmmm...

    g

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl, my OFFICIAL statement now is that it's because they thought you were a commie hippie. Only explanation. Because that looks pretty fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I am LOVING the maxiskirts lately and this is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this colour combination , I am seeing maxi skirts everywhere lately . I need to make one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute and comfy too? Okay, sign me up for that. Off to the fabric closet right now to look for an appropriate fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I LOVE it, Angie! Awesome spring colors and it's really flattering on you to boot. AND really great idea for the paper bag type waistband - I'll be filing that away in the memory banks for later. Great job! Now, keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! We must be on the same brain wave as I also just made a maxi skirt and wore it today. :) I say statement necklaces are still in and would look super cute with your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like fun. I might have to make something like that! Thanks for the inspiration.

    SueC56

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so pretty, beautiful color, wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! And thanks for the tutorial link-- I also have a piece of gauzy cotton that I have mentally pegged for a maxi skirt (as soon as I figure out what color to dye it, because I already have one long white skirt and really don't need another.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that color on your skirt and seeing your nice toenails reminds me I'd better break down and get a pedi before I start getting old lady toenails.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:54 PM

    testing the word ver removal...

    --angie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it looks lovely ! Such a beautiful colour, great job. I also feel ashamed about the state of my footsies after seeing yours ! I need to pretty them up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooo, so pretty! Love that color combination. Statement necklace? I still wear some bib necklaces so try it. It would look great with a long necklace also.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &